If you haven’t been sleeping so well of late you might be wondering if a new mattress will make a difference. But how do you know if you need one, and what’s the best type to get?
Many people spend more time considering the colour palette of their bedroom than they do their mattress. While creating a restful sanctuary is important, you’re never going to get a good night’s sleep on a crummy mattress.
When to change your mattress
Knowing when you need to change your mattress can be tricky, so here are our best tips.
- Comfort – Inner springs digging into your back, bumpy bits, or trouble getting comfortable are a sign you need to replace your mattress.
- Support – A mattress that sags, has visible dips and isn’t offering you proper support, is a sign it’s time to go shopping.
- Noise – If your mattress creaks when you roll over then it’s time to spring into action and get new one.
- Smell – Does your mattress smell funny? Time to spruce things up with a new one.
Choosing the right mattress
So, you’ve decided to invest in a new mattress. Hooray! A better night’s sleep isn’t far away — but only if you choose the right one.
When choosing the right mattress, there are a number of things to consider. Here are our top tips:
- Size — This is probably the most obvious, but what size do you need? If it’s for a teenager, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger mattress like a king single or even a queen.
- Bedframe — Will the mattress sit on an existing bed frame, or do you want to upgrade to an ensemble base?
- Support — What level of support do you need? If you have musculoskeletal issues, you’ll need to ensure your mattress offers appropriate support. If you’re looking for a mattress that offers heavy-duty support (for people with weight issues), then a bariatric mattress is the way to go. These mattresses are also used for people who are bedridden, as they support greater weight without compression, therefore reducing the risk of bedsores.
- Waterproofing — Will you require a waterproof mattress? These can be very handy when toilet-training children, or for adults with incontinence issues.
- How do you sleep? — The way you sleep will have an impact on the type of mattress you need. For example, side-sleepers usually prefer a softer mattress than those who sleep on their stomach or back.
The right mattress for you
At BedGuard, we have a range of quality waterproof mattresses to suit everyone — from the very young, to the not-so-young. We also specialise in bariatric mattresses that are super supportive. All of our mattresses are antibacterial, hypo-allergenic, stain resistant, odour resistant and dust mite resistant, giving your mattress a longer life span.
And of course, we’re on hand to answer any questions you may have to ensure you choose the right mattress for your needs.
Browse our range today and take the first steps to a better night’s sleep.